Volunteers in Policing Service (VIPS)
What is VIPS?
The Bedford Police Department’s 'Volunteers In Policing Service' program trains citizen volunteers to assist the Department with police activities, enhance crime prevention, and provide additional manpower to improve service to the community.
As a VIPS member, you will have the opportunity to contribute to the overall quality of service to the community. Participants in the VIPS program do not take enforcement action, carry weapons nor make arrests.
Why Become a VIPS Volunteer?
A VIPS Volunteer serves as an integral part of the Bedford Police Department team while assisting in controlling, reducing and preventing crime through presence on the streets of Bedford. VIPS volunteers assist the Bedford Police Department in a variety of assignments to include (but not limited to): Records, Criminal Investigations, front lobby desk coverage, conduct patrols and traffic surveys in the City, helps with special requests for volunteers from Training, SWAT, etc.
Requirements to Become a VIPS Volunteer
1. Must have successfully graduated from a Bedford Citizen Police Academy class.
2. Must be at least 21 years old, and work or live in Bedford
3. Possess a valid Texas Drivers License or Texas Identification Card.
4. Have no prior history of arrest or conviction for a criminal offense Class B misdemeanor penalty group within the past 10 years; No Class A misdemeanor or felonies; nor any Class C misdemeanor penal law violations involving moral turpitude.
5. Have no habitual record of Class C misdemeanor traffic violations.
6. Have no prior illegal use of drugs - will be in accordance with current full-time employee Police Department policy standards.
7. Be in good physical condition, relevant to the position for which they will be volunteering.
8. Must pass a drug test.
9. Must successfully complete the application, background and training process.
10. Any falsification or misrepresentation of any information in the application is immediate grounds for disqualification or termination from the VIPS program.
How Do I Apply?
If you are interested in becoming a VIPS volunteer and you meet the program qualifications, please contact:
VIPS Volunteer Coordinator,